NYC Independent Contractor Lawyer
BLG helps many businesses effectively use independent contractors or freelancers instead of hiring full or part-time employees. Independent contractors perform compensated work, but they are not considered to be employees.
This relationship must be properly defined in an independent contractor agreement or both parties may end up in costly disputes over wages and benefits. If you are considering hiring an independent contractor for any work, BLG can help you draft an agreement that is tailored for your company's needs.
Although every independent contractor agreement will differ depending on the duration of the project, the scope of the work to be done, and many other factors, all independent contractor agreements should address certain foundational issues by defining the following key terms and provisions:
- Description of Services and Skill Required
- Duration of The Relationship Between The Parties
- Location of The Work
- Terms of Payment
- Tax Treatment of The Hired Party
- Provisions for Expenses and Materials
- Time Period for the Agreement and Renewal Possibilities
- Ability To Work For Other Companies
- Non-Disclosure Promises
- Circumstances For Termination of the Contract
- Provisions for Dispute Resolution.
If the work you need might be done by independent contractor, it may help to discuss the specifics of that agreement you form with one of our lawyers.
Call us today at or fill out the form on the Contact Us page to speak with one of our employment law attorneys.
I am forever grateful that they were referred to me!
- From a female executive BLG assisted with severance negotiations
“Patrick Boyd and the entire BLG team exemplified professionalism as well as compassion. They provided concise counsel. Their knowledge and expertise also helped me to successfully navigate through the most tumultuous period in my career. I am forever grateful that they were referred to me!”
I am extremely pleased with the results that were achieved!
- A Senior Executive represented in a series of negotiations for his employment contract.
“I have worked with The Boyd Law Group since 2015 and am a very satisfied client. Every aspect has been exemplary. Patrick's legal knowledge, business acumen, personalized approach and staff. I am extremely pleased with the results that were achieved.”
Patrick & his team helped me during an extremely difficult time.
“He exceeded my expectations with not only the outcome of my case but his close attention to detail and constant communication. Best in the business.”
- From a Start-up Female Executive With Sexual Harassment Case
I would strongly recommend Mr. Boyd & his team.
“His advice and guidance was highly valuable in obtaining a positive outcome for my family.”
- From Wall Street Executive Whistleblower
He was extremely supportive, very communicative & professional.
“I got the outcome I desired and would highly recommend him for any employment and labor issues. 5 stars all around.”
- From a Fashion Executive With A Maternity Leave Case