NYC Disability Discrimination Lawyers
New York and Connecticut Employment Disability Discrimination
Disability discrimination involves unfair treatment in the workplace on the basis of a disability or perceived disability. The federal Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires that employers covered by the law provide reasonable accommodations for known physical or mental limitations of qualified employees. This law applies whether the employee works part-time or full-time.
Federal disability discrimination laws, such as the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), prohibit any adverse job action or disparate treatment - in hiring, firing, promotions, wages, schedules, work privileges, or layoffs - because of a worker's disability or perceived disability. As long as a person with a disability is capable of performing the job, he or she must be given an equal chance for employment and advancement.
Not all medical conditions are considered to be a “disability” under federal or state laws or even local laws and therefore protection against discrimination is not comprehensive.
In general, in order to qualify as having a disability, you must be able to prove one of the following:
- You have a mental or physical condition that prevents you from participating in a major life activity (this includes conditions that limit your ability to breathe, think, care for yourself, learn, talk, hear, walk, see, etc).
- You have a history of a disability (this applies in situations where you have a disease that may be in remission.)
- You are perceived to have a substantially limiting disability.
If you think you have been the victim of disability discrimination in the workplace, contact The Boyd Law Group, PLLC at (800) 481-1467or fill out our online Contact Us form to schedule a free case evaluation with an experienced disability discrimination lawyer to discuss your rights and legal options.
A Personal Approach Paired With Fierce Representation
I am forever grateful that they were referred to me!
- From a female executive BLG assisted with severance negotiations
“Patrick Boyd and the entire BLG team exemplified professionalism as well as compassion. They provided concise counsel. Their knowledge and expertise also helped me to successfully navigate through the most tumultuous period in my career. I am forever grateful that they were referred to me!”
I am extremely pleased with the results that were achieved!
- A Senior Executive represented in a series of negotiations for his employment contract.
“I have worked with The Boyd Law Group since 2015 and am a very satisfied client. Every aspect has been exemplary. Patrick's legal knowledge, business acumen, personalized approach and staff. I am extremely pleased with the results that were achieved.”
Patrick & his team helped me during an extremely difficult time.
“He exceeded my expectations with not only the outcome of my case but his close attention to detail and constant communication. Best in the business.”
- From a Start-up Female Executive With Sexual Harassment Case
I would strongly recommend Mr. Boyd & his team.
“His advice and guidance was highly valuable in obtaining a positive outcome for my family.”
- From Wall Street Executive Whistleblower
He was extremely supportive, very communicative & professional.
“I got the outcome I desired and would highly recommend him for any employment and labor issues. 5 stars all around.”
- From a Fashion Executive With A Maternity Leave Case